HO Scale VR Model Railways

My online record of my model railway activities. I model Victorian Railways (Australia) in HO scale.

Wednesday, November 08, 2006

Cairns Kuranda Railway

I've been in far north Queensland recently so I haven't had time to do much modelling. While I was in Queensland I did get the opportunity to ride the famous Cairns to Kuranda railway. Unfortunately it was diesel hauled, but it was still an amazing ride anyway ( I understand there was steam haulage until fairly recently). The service is run by QR using nicely refurbished heritage carriages, and the line has some amazing views. However, the best feature of the line wouldn't be noticed by the vast majority of passengers. On arrival in Kuranda, the station and yard are controlled completely by mechanical signalling - it is like a throwback to the fifties. Then again, it is in Queensland...........

1 Comments:

Blogger Caitlin said...

Very nice !

4:33 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home