HO Scale VR Model Railways

My online record of my model railway activities. I model Victorian Railways (Australia) in HO scale.

Wednesday, September 28, 2005

First Post

Welcome to my model railway blog. I model the railways of Victoria, Australia in HO scale. As I'm a fairly prolific model builder I hope to use this as a record of the models I build as I go along. From time to time I imagine I will ramble on about various aspects of the model railway hobby in Australia - I don't know if anyone will read this but I'll do it anyway. Anyway, on to business.....my current projects.

In the workshop:

VR Wooden Overland Sleeping Cars: These were the sleeping cars used on the Melbourne-Adelaide "Overland" passenger train from the early 1900's until the mid 50's. As of last night I've finished building two of these cars from the BGB polyester resin kit, and hopefully I'll get a start on painting these this weekend. I think these are actually pretty good kits, they go together easily, the detail is good and they look the part when painted. The downside is that the resin is extremely brittle and you have to handle them with kid gloves to avoid chips and breakages.

VR M Cattle Vans: I'm building a couple of these small 4 wheel wagons from the Steam Era Models kit. Something has gone horribly wrong with the first one because it has the worst wobble when rolled down the test track that I've ever seen, and I've built a lot of these SEM 4 wheel kits. At first I thought the wheels were not true, and spent close on an hour last night checking and adjusting the wheels, to no avail. I know these kits have a reputation for being difficult to get to run without wobbling, but this one has really got me scratching my head.

D3 Class Steam Locomotive: Built from the BGM whitemetal and brass kit, this has been the most difficult, frustrating and time consuming model I have ever built. Even though others I have spoken to have had no problems I remain convinced I got a lemon. In no particular order, I have had the following problems; the tender bogies kept falling to pieces and for a long time I could not get the tender to sit on the bogies properly, the gear box kept stripping one particular gear, there were numerous tight spots and binds in the valve gear and driving wheels, and i ended up leaving off the brake gear on the loco because it was shorting out the motor. Anyway, after solving most of these problems this loco is now 99% complete and just needs a good running in session. Hooray!!!!

So they are my current projects, another progress report soon!

1 Comments:

Blogger Klem said...

Interesting, but no pictures? Too much text and no Images makes a blog alittle bit tedius.

3:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home